Saturday 4 October 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy - 2014

Today I finally got a chance to go and see the new marvel masterpiece 'Guardians of the Galaxy'.
This breathtaking adventure (directed by James Gunn) tells the story of wannabe hero Peter Quill who, after stealing a very precious orb, finds himself roaming space to get rid of it safely. But the Starlord Quill (played by Chris Pratt) cannot do so alone. With help from Gamora, Drax the Destroyer, Rocket Raccoon and Vin Diesel's Groot, he will fore fill his destiny and become a guardain of the galaxy.

I loved this film, and for so many reasons. Firstly the soundtrack is utterly amazing. With tunes from Blue Swede, David Bowie, Jackson 5 and more, who wouldn't enjoy it? And as well as this, I thought that the way that the music was played during the film was very clever. This is because none of the music was purely non-diagetic.  In the start of the film, we learn that Peter Quill was given a mix tape (named 'awesome mix vol. 1') by his mother before she died. And this tape is the soundtrack to the film. Because of this, music always begins diagetic or non-diagetic and then switches. This is a good technique because it allows the audience to feel more connected to the characters as they share the music.

Next up, the visuals. If you are looking for believable characters, impressive explosions, and space ships to make star wars jealous, then this is your film. One thing that I found impressive was that only at the start was there no special effects or greenscreen efects, but as soon as the film really gets started, whole planets, cities and worlds are created before your eyes. The characters also look remarkable. Groot for a start, I'm sure you will agree with me when I say that he looks brilliant. And with the little raccoon Rocket by his side, they make a visually amazing duo. Even the colouring on some of the characters such as Gamora looks unbelieveably realistic. Karen Gillans chracter Nebula doesn't even look human! A very big well done to the designers of the costume and make up.

With the characters, I feel that the writers did a very good job of allowing us to understand the pasts and lives of the characters, however I feel that the villains in the film were very much ignored and did not seen to have the same story that the heroes did. This for me, made the film a little less exiting as I did not need to feel scared for the good characters as there was not much of a threat as far as the audience are concerned. Saying that though, I do not think that I could think of many more flaws if any at all. I thought the storyline, apart from being very slightly rushed, was cleverly thought out and I think there was also about an even mix of tense moments and fun moments which made it very enjoyable for many audiences.

Another thing that made it enjoyable was that it had more humour than most marvel films. I found that this made the film much better than other ones I have seen and I think it is my favourite marvel film. I very highly reccomend that anyone watches this film as it looks good, is funny, and has many characters to choose a favourite from. By far the best film I have seen this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment