Friday 21 November 2014

Genre (part 3)

Another genre of film that many love to watch is Drama. I am not a fan of Dramas because I prefer more funny films however I enjoy watching dramas when they are mixed with other genres such as sci-fi. I was not sure if I had seen any dramas as I am not too sure what makes one, but I visited the IMDB website and under dramas was 'The Shawshank redemption' (1994). This is possibly my favourite film of all time. The film features a young man called Andy Dufresne (played by Tim Robbins) who is believed to have killed his wife over affair issues. Because of this, the court of law sees him to Shawshank, a very large maximum security prison. When he is on the inside, we get taken in with him to see what life in an american prison is like. Shortly after entering Shawshank, Andy becomes good friends with Red, the man who knows how to get stuff for people on the inside. The part of Red was given to Morgan Freeman and it is in my opinion, one of his best roles. This film is definitely a good example of a drama, it is serious, emotional, and has some characters that you grow to love.

Finally,  Horror. Horrors are great as they can be so stereotypical and similar but still be successful
because many people love them. As well as this, it can easily be mixed with other genres such as romantic films or comedies. One thing that makes a horror film a horror film is making an audience jump. Most people love and anticipate these moments because of the adrenaline and shock they get from it. I have not watched many horrors, but a good example of a comedy horror film is 'Scary Movie' (2000). This film follows a group of teenagers being stalked and murdered one by one by a psyco serial killer. One thing that I love about this film is that there are no jump scares because in my opinion these are so pointless and they make a film all about trying to make the audience terrified and by doing this, they often are distracted from the actual story which will make the film really boring and rather repetitive. The fact that there is a good story is why I love scary movie. It may not be the best, but it doesn't have to be because it is a comedy. I reccomend this as it is a great example of a horror and one of the best, another horror I am planning to see is 'The Babadook' and I will write a review once I have seen it.

So to sum it all up, all of the variations of genres can all be brilliant in their own way and I believe that if you read something similar by another film lover, the opinions would be completely different because everyone likes different types of films.

No comments:

Post a Comment